I’ve almost exhausted the project budget ($700ish remaining), but I’ve nearly fulfilled my crowdfunding promises. Just 3 more characters and 7 more random events to go, and I have half of those under way already. I plan to do these in the next two releases over the coming week.
After that, I’ll be building in ad banners (shown to free users only) so that the game pays for its running costs. As I’ve mentioned in an earlier post, I can’t use Gumroad any more because of policy changes. Once I have the ads in place (and have tweaked the server a bit), I’ll finally get rid of the 30 turn limit on free users and release v1.0. Fingers crossed I can get this done before I take a week off for Christmas. Otherwise it’ll happen in the new year.
After that, I’ll be working on new projects and Fleshcult will be on the back burner for a while. Massive thanks to everybody who’s helped me get this far. You’re the best.
New in this release:
- 5 new random events. Two are semi-common, two are shown once, and one’s a secret for particularly horrible people. You’re not likely to see any of the new ones if you’re already in the end-game.
- Fixed an error that occurs when you fire a minion that you’re upgrading.
- Fixed an error that occurs if you reorder minions twice in a row.
For the next release I’ve got more random events planned and hopefully a new character.
- Since I added the meter animations, I feel like they’ve been stealing attention from the text. I’ve been experimenting with ways to draw the player’s eye back to the writing. I settled on fading it in after the meter animations finish and enlarging it slightly.
- Split fetishwear off from sex toys in the sanctum so that the menus are less cluttered.
- Displaying *NEW* indicators on tomes and tabs when new transformations are unlocked.
- Added a button for discarding tomes.
- Made the highlight on tapped links persist until the next page loads so that players using Fleshcult from the iOS home screen get more feedback.
- Fixed a rare bug that prevented saved games from loading.
- Prevent people from pressing Transform button without a selected transformation.
- Fixed changing names/reordering minions so that they redirect back to the right page.
That rounds out all my planned UI work and I’ll be going back to working on content for v0.91 – v0.95. Let me know if I’ve missed anything that’s particularly sloppy or cumbersome.
EDIT: Gumroad gave me a reprieve. They’ll continue processing payments until the end of the month, so I’m re-enabling credit card payments.
So I got my ‘Betrayed by a Payment Service’ merit badge as a pornographer today. Sometime within the last few weeks Gumroad altered their terms of service to prohibit ‘Adult Content’ and they’re warning me that they’re going to suspend my account in the “next few days”. That was my first notice of their change in policy!
It’s a damn shame; Gumroad was really nice to deal with and I hope someday they move to business partners that aren’t such prudes. In the mean time I’ll be accepting payments via Payp*l, which of course is a precarious situation in itself. I guess I’m lucky that I got hit with this when the project was starting to wind down anyway, but it’ll mean I’ll have to look for a new payment service if I do Fleshcult DLC someday.
If you know anyone else doing adult work via Gumroad, quietly warn them to start looking for alternatives because they’re not going to get enough advance notice. Do it via e-mail, don’t tell them anywhere that might get indexed by a search engine, in case it leads Gumroad to them.
The actual e-mail follows, if you’re interested: Continue reading
Thanks to everybody who donated this month. I’ll have a new release tomorrow or so that adds a bit more flexibility to the body part slot system and enables you to respec to transformations/equipment that you already own without spending mana. Also, I’m nearly finished with the art. Just need to settle on a good icon.
Here’s what I still need to do during v0.9x:
- 15 more random events.
- 4 more mortal characters. (1 of which is designed by a patron)
- 1 more mortal character skill.
I’m fairly sure that’s everything remaining that I promised in the Offbeatr. Let me know if I’ve missed something. The funds are dwindling and it looks like I’ll run out of budget in early/mid December, so I’m triaging a lot of stuff that I wanted to do in order to focus on that list. For example, I always intended to add angels back into the game after redesigning how those encounters work, but that’s looking unlikely.
Around v0.95 I’ll have the above items finished but I’ll need a couple more releases to prepare for v1.0 and open access (optimisation, adding ad banners, etc.). After v1.0 I’ll be working on other projects for a while. I’ll keep publishing these project balance updates up until v1.0, but after that it looks like I’ll have to stop because some ad networks have weird NDAs to prevent you from telling others how much (or more likely how little) they’re paying you.
The Akismet spam queue is getting too long to even skim these days, so I’m adding a custom question to blog comments. E-mail me at email@example.com if it’s malfunctioning.
The main addition in this release is the ability to rename the main character and the minions. You can also set whether they use male or female pronouns. I’m continuing to improve the UI on small displays, and I should be done with that after batch of tweaks.
- Fixed missing Reject buttons.
- Fixed skip tabs in encounter on mobile.
- Made the credits, new account, building and surface missions screens easier to use on narrow displays.
- Made it easier to tap options when selecting a merge type or side effect on a touchscreen.