- In testing.
- An outage of approximately 1 hour.
This release won’t change anything about the game itself. I’m making improvements to player privacy because a lot of disturbing news is coming out of the US just now.
- In Fleshcult, people choose which gender they want to play and which gender they want to fuck.
- Fleshcult used an email address during sign up. Lots of people used a burner address (sensible!), but not everybody did.
- I’m not in the USA, but my server is.
- If Trump gets himself shot, impeached or ousted, Pence controls the US surveillance apparatus.
- Pence really doesn’t like LGBT people.
- It’s a really bad idea for me to have a database that connects people’s email addresses with sexuality info lying around.
Here’s the plan:
- Turn all the email addresses into hashes, much like I do with passwords. Reversing a hash is pretty difficult, so hopefully that should render the database useless to anybody who gets their hands on it.
- You can still log into your old accounts. When you enter an email address I hash it and compare that hash against the database one.
- You can use anything as an account username now, not just an email address. If you’re still worried, feel free to log in and change your username to something that’s not an email address.
- Before hashing, I made a list of the emails of everyone who has opted to be on the newsletter, burned that list to a DVD, and stuffed it in my closet. It’s just email addresses, no sexuality info. If I ever restart development, I’ll use that to announce it.
- I removed the Forgot Your Password system because it relies on being able to send mail.
- You can’t buy account upgrades any more because that relies on mail.
Sorry about the inconvenience, but it’s important to take precautions before they’re required. I know I never finished that infestation tome, but this is all I could eke out time for. If the update broke something, let me know at: jack (at) (the game name) .com