I’ve been finding it hard to focus on programming tasks lately, so I’ve been spending this week working on world building. I haven’t tended to write much background material, but I’ve been hankering to do more, because a post-Baron plot arc has gotta be more than just another antagonist like the last.
My process so far is similar to the one behind Vampire: The Masquerade:
- What are the major political divides generated by the premise?
- Come up with factions for each position. Give them names, epithets, symbols, founders, derogatory terms…
- Who’s allied with who? What are the conflicts? Who won, and how long ago?
- What sorts of juicy scandals might’ve been covered up? Who’s keeping secrets?
- What’s the sequence of foreshadowings and reveals that leads the player to the bottom of each mystery?
- Who do they need to know and where do they need to be, to discover all these things?
- What are the tasks and random events that lead them there?
Anyway, I doubt I’ll follow all these steps exhaustively. If I can see a shortcut to writing game content, I’ll definitely take it.