- I’m starting to get commissions in from a new artist, Lavah! Her first contribution is finishing off the title painting (it’s based on a sketch by RJ Palmer). Hope you like it.
- Animated meters. I’ve broken the animation into stages so that you can see the different contributions to the end state. Also, when you lose an encounter, you can see what happened to the horror meter.
- A new character in Old Town: The Goth.
- Redesigned the title page.
- On mobile devices, when you’re in an encounter it defaults to scrolling past the header.
- Typo fixes.
- Sometimes when a meter animates away from zero, it pops to the end position.
- Animation isn’t supported on IE 8 or 9. You’ll see things jump instead.
As always, let me know if you’re seeing glitches with the new stuff.
I’ve redesigned the encounter menus:
- It has 1, 2 and 3-column responsive layouts so that it’s comfortable to use on anything between a desktop and a phone in portrait orientation.
- To save screen real estate, the description for an action is now hidden in a tooltip (tap to see it on a touchscreen). If you’re seeing an action for the first time, it’s also displayed within the button.
- Buttons are somewhat sexier; not quite so brown.
- If you’ve got a small display, a row of skip tabs appears. It allows you to skip to different parts of the move list without scrolling.
- You can select menu options from the keyboard.
- Some moves allow you to select which body part they apply to.
- A couple of typo fixes. Replaced a few mentions of ‘anus’ with ‘ass’ to make it less clinical.
- If you’re playing an old saved game, you might see descriptions for the all actions appearing during the first encounter after the upgrade. The descriptions are only supposed to show up for new actions and It’ll go back to normal in your second encounter.
- If you’re on IE8 you get skip tabs no matter how big your screen is. (IE8 doesn’t support media queries)
So far I’ve tested on Windows Firefox 23, IE 8-10, Chrome, a Galaxy S3 running Android 4.1.2 (Samsung stock), a Nook HD+ (also stock), and an iPhone 3G running iOS 4.2. Let me know if I’ve missed any weirdness on your set-up.
This release took way, way too long. Partly it was me being blindsided by web standards snafus (Touch screen browsers send hover events? Whaaaat? IE8 puts the event object where!? Etc. etc.), partly it was the sheer variety of things to test, and partly it was feature creep. I want to do the meters next, but I think I’m going to have to skip some of my zanier ideas*.
* (Like the Lust meter fluctuating according to a heartbeat. If you were to time your button press just right, you’d get a slightly larger increase. Or slightly smaller, if that’s what you’re going for)
Income was a bit lower this month. I neglected to update the projected end date mentioned in the donate screen (it still said ‘Late August’), so that probably didn’t help!
This month I’m working on all the UI work that’s accumulated to try and make sure the game is a polished experience whatever you’re playing it on. There’s also a handful of extra settings that I promised over in the forums (like minion renaming and pronoun toggles etc.) that I need to implement.
I still don’t have a new illustrator/colourist lined up, but I’m continuing to make inquiries.