The Fleshcult Patreon is finally up after languishing in Patreon’s mod queue for quite a while. And with it, a game update that lets me grant backer rewards such as cheats and ad-free play.
There’s no new content in v1.01 though. That comes in v1.02, where I’ll be adding the long-awaited Infestation Tome. I promised that in the original OffBeatr campaign, so I’m going ahead with that regardless of how this Patreon does.
So, will I start doing a big promotional push? Not yet. After I’ve got some new content to show people I’ll start sending out newsletter updates, but a little at a time, so as to not overload the server. I really can’t wait to have a client-side version. I’ve been making some significant progress on that front, and I’ll post about it soon.
- In testing.
- An outage of approximately 1 hour.
This release won’t change anything about the game itself. I’m making improvements to player privacy because a lot of disturbing news is coming out of the US just now.
- In Fleshcult, people choose which gender they want to play and which gender they want to fuck.
- Fleshcult used an email address during sign up. Lots of people used a burner address (sensible!), but not everybody did.
- I’m not in the USA, but my server is.
- If Trump gets himself shot, impeached or ousted, Pence controls the US surveillance apparatus.
- Pence really doesn’t like LGBT people.
- It’s a really bad idea for me to have a database that connects people’s email addresses with sexuality info lying around.
Here’s the plan:
- Turn all the email addresses into hashes, much like I do with passwords. Reversing a hash is pretty difficult, so hopefully that should render the database useless to anybody who gets their hands on it.
- You can still log into your old accounts. When you enter an email address I hash it and compare that hash against the database one.
- You can use anything as an account username now, not just an email address. If you’re still worried, feel free to log in and change your username to something that’s not an email address.
- Before hashing, I made a list of the emails of everyone who has opted to be on the newsletter, burned that list to a DVD, and stuffed it in my closet. It’s just email addresses, no sexuality info. If I ever restart development, I’ll use that to announce it.
- I removed the Forgot Your Password system because it relies on being able to send mail.
- You can’t buy account upgrades any more because that relies on mail.
Sorry about the inconvenience, but it’s important to take precautions before they’re required. I know I never finished that infestation tome, but this is all I could eke out time for. If the update broke something, let me know at: jack (at) (the game name) .com
This one’s just a maintenance update. (No, I haven’t restarted development. Sorry for getting your hopes up RSS readers!)
- Installed some library updates. This has changed the cookie format, which means you’ll have to log in again. If you didn’t make a login at all, then I’m afraid your current game will be inaccessible. This kind of thing is why I have the 10 turn limit on playing without an account.
- Swapped out an under performing ad network.
- Tweaked some strangely worded passages.
This one’s just a wee release with a couple of fixes and ad improvements. Meanwhile, the prototyping of new game ideas continues…
- Filled in missing body part descriptions for tattoos and vaginal/anal training.
- Players can now revert back to demon wings.
- Ad tweaks.
I’ve been splitting my time between trying to get ads to the point where they pay for the server, and messing around prototyping new game ideas. If one of the R-rated ideas looks promising, I’ll be sure to post it here, but no joy yet. Anyway, Fleshcult:
- As an experiment, the unlimited characters / no ads upgrade is currently pay what you want, with a minimum of $2.
- You can set whether you prefer to see ads with men or women. You can do this at the start of the game, or by going into the character options in the Sanctum screen.
- You can now alter your character’s sexuality options part way through the game from the character options in the Sanctum screen.
- Ad tweaks.
- Fixed minion mergers so that they always result in a multiplier boost.
- Fixed bug where if you could make a certain plot related merge, it’d glitch out if you tried a different one.
- Fixed Internal Server Error when getting the merchant’s loan repaid.
- Fixed ads showing on the NSFW warning page, making it rather pointless!
- The 30 turn limit for free players has been removed.
- Fix for a badly timed random event that could cause a location to start off empty.
- Fixed some incorrect pronouns in titty fuck descriptions.
Please let me know if you’re a paying user and you see an ad while you’re logged in. That shouldn’t happen; they’re for free players only.
- I intend for the ads to reflect the sexuality preferences you choose at the beginning of the game, in order not to gross people out. It doesn’t work very well at the moment because one of the networks I’m using has very little that’s not aimed at straight males. And straight women don’t even get a category on this network!* I guess I’ll need to find some speciality ad networks to fill in the gaps.
* The first person in the comments to say “Women don’t watch porn,” will get crushed under the weight of a hundred thousand porn tumblrs and pieces of James Deen merchandise.
This release brings a new event and a new character, for a total of 18 characters and 20 random events.
- Added a new character to Old Town: the bodybuilder.
- In previous releases you could discard a tome if it offered options that grossed you out. I’ve replaced this with the ability to Hide a tome instead. It’s reversible and also it allows completionists to collect all the tomes even if they find some distasteful.
- There’s a new event that tips off players that they have collected all the tomes.
- Fixed a rare bug that was causing errors going into a new turn.
- Fixed a bunch of problems that were messing up the difficulty curve: (Thanks to Wyrd for tipping me off)
- The exhausted minion event was getting wedged and re-triggering over and over in certain circumstances.
- Losing the initial invasion caused it to re-trigger without a delay.
- Put a limit on the number of concubines that can be kidnapped in an invasion. Penalising players that are doing badly tends to cause a feedback loop.
- Minion merges now take longer. Blowing through them once per turn just feels really anticlimactic.
- Renamed the Tome of Hermaphrodites to the Tome of Genital Swapping so that it’s slightly more accurate. Not entirely happy with the new name – it’s not very magical-sounding. Open to suggestions.
The next release will introduce ads, but on the other hand, unlimited turns for everybody! It’ll be v0.96, v1.0 will have to wait until the new year.